Wednesday, September 23, 2009

A message from our sponsor


Plain Brown Dog is pleased to present a message from our sponsor, NativeMom. 

Adopting isn't easy. It's a commitment. It was 2 years ago this month that I adopted my friend Boo Radley. He'd been at the Big House for more than 5 months. I learned when I adopted him, that I would be his third family. A dubious distinction. I wondered what I was getting myself into.

It was more than 2 days before he would really look me in the eye. About a week before he seemed to respond to his "new name." Now I know I've found a "lifetime dog," to borrow a phrase from author Jon Katz, author of A Good Dog (which I highly recommend.). 

Radley isn't just a dog. He isn't just a pet. He's my joy. To be sure, he is not a replacement for my beloved husband or my children. Johnny Depp could be my husband and cherubs could be my children, and I would love this dog no less.

He's loyal. Funny. He comforts me instinctively. He greets me enthusiastically at the door, whether I've been gone 3 hours or 3 minutes.  I had no idea when I adopted him 2 years ago what a life-altering experience it would be. First delight that I had done something selfless for another of god's creatures. Then terror over how I would manage to train a new dog. Then gratefulness at the love and fulfillment he brought to my life.

As I work everyday with him nestled at my feet under my desk, I look into his face so full of loyalty, gratitude and joy, and I'm struck by the knowledge that I have such a faithful companion. My lifetime dog. 

I wish this for everyone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment